Coastal Missions Society
The Foundation for Coastal Missions
Shantymen's History 1930’s-1968
The Vancouver Island Branch of the Shantymen's Christian Association began using vessels for missionary work in the 1930's. Names such as Percy Wills (in photo), Doc McLean, Harold Peters, and Earl Johnson became known in logging camps, fishing villages, and small communities along British Columbia's west coast.
The Messenger III was their last and most notable vessel. She was sold to private owners in 1968. By then, public and logging roads on Vancouver Island gave access to many places. The Shantymen purchased a truck and camper to carry on their work.
Missionary Training at Pachena Bible Camp 1973-1979
In the early 1970's, new names emerged: Don Robertson, Joe Ottom, Ron McKee, and Roy Getman. A survey beyond Vancouver Island using the vessel Nipentuck affirmed the need for continued gospel outreach to Vancouver Island and greater coastal areas.
Year-round programming started in January 1973 at Camp Ross, affectionately called Pachena, on the west coast of Vancouver Island near Bamfield. Training of new workers began that year. A clinic built in 1974 served the needs of hikers coming off Vancouver Island's famed West Coast Trail.
By the mid 1970's trained workers were reaching out with the Gospel by land and sea as far as the Queen Charlotte Islands and southeastern Alaska.
Beginning of Coastal Missions Society
In December 1979, people supportive of expanded outreach to the coast discussed ministry apart from the Shantymen's Christian Association. A committee started the process of incorporating. Coastal Missions Society was born as a limited corporate society on May 7, 1980.